Tuesday, June 9, 2009

What's in a name?

Jerry Seinfeld watchers may remember when George said he wanted to name his first child Seven.

While watching our grandson's baseball team last weekend I became aware of the gentleman behind me in the stands kept calling out encouragement to Seven. My eyes widened. Had someone actually named their son Seven?

I listened intently for the man to call out some other name but he never did. About the time I was convinced that the pitcher's name was Seven my daughter-in-law leaned over to me and using the kid's real name told me that he had been on their basketball team as well.

That's when I saw that he was wearing the Number Seven on his jersey.

I am a bit dyslexic and my brain often does rather entertaining things with letters and words. Such as:

I read this team name as being Pathetic until common sense set in and I took a closer look.

rita

1 comment:

A said...

Pete's work uniforms have their first name printed on a patch with their job title after that (his reads: Pete Paramedic). This has made me wonder about funny combinations if your first name is also an adjective.

I always wondered what it would feel like to awaken from a stupor with 911 helping me, only to read the guy's outfit announcing: Rusty Paramedic.