Monday, March 2, 2009

Arty Adventure

My friend, Sherrie, and I decided we needed an adventure this weekend. We took off without a clue as to where we would end up. We spotted a sign with an arrow pointing "this way to an art show".

We were both taken by two lovely paintings of the ocean. As we were discussing them the artist came up behind us and introduced herself. We explained that if it weren't for the tight budgets we both are on we would be fighting over which one of her works would go home with us.

She told us about a gallery downtown where her prints were available. We thanked her and after we left we wandered down to the gallery to find even more wonderful works.

I don't pretend to know anything about art. Nor do I understand how art is priced. We noticed that some pieces that took our breath away because they were so beautiful would be priced at $400 while other pieces, that were not as appealing to us were priced in the $1,000 to $2,000 range. If you know what the parameters of pricing art is -- I'd love to hear about it.

There were three chairs at the show that looked like thrifted items that were repainted. I admire someone who can by a chair at a garage sale for $5 and apply $3 worth of paint on it and sale it for $100. This lovely hat commanded my attention. I can see this gracing the entrance of an elegant home.








rita

No comments: