Monday, November 30, 2009

Happy?

I recently heard someone say, "I want to be happy but I don't know how."

Happiness is so misunderstood. Sometimes we just can't help being happy because of our circumstances. Playing and laughing with friends, spouse, children or my personal favorite, grandchildren, makes it easy to be happy.


Other times, happiness eludes us. Circumstances are difficult. That's when happiness becomes a choice.


I have just endured a few dark days of painful joints. Unable to do anything else, I sat in my comfy chair with the heating pad as my closest friend. It was then I realized that in the middle of my distress I could still choose to be happy.


This Christmas cactus that blooms in time for Thanksgiving always makes me happy.

I could choose to be happy while watching the squirrels, cats and Stellar jays play just outside my window.



A lesson I hope to always remember.
rita


No comments: