Thursday, October 2, 2008

Wallpaper story part two. . .

Thank you for all of the suggestions about removing unwanted wallpaper. I should have mentioned that I am no stranger to this process.

During the late 1970’s I happily wallpapered no less than 4 large rooms in our home and in the late 90’s unhappily removed every inch of that wallpaper when it came time to sell the house.

I scored and applied water and fabric softener and/or some rather expensive glop that I purchased from the home improvement center with varying degrees of success. I know that satisfaction of hitting upon just the right combination and being able to peel large portions of paper off at a time.

So, when I stepped up to my current dining area wall it was with confidence that something in my past experience and bag of tricks would work. However, I didn’t realize that I was dealing with the wallpaper straight out of a horror film. It either was applied so expertly that it was intended to be firmly attached to the wall for the archeologists to uncover 2,000 years from now or so poorly applied that it has become a permanent part of the wallboard.

This, by the way, is not your ordinary sheetrock wall. I’m not sure what was used to create that curved wall but maybe when I get more of the paper off we can tell what was used to build it.

Now on to another adventure at Quirky Cottage. Our next door neighbor was informed that she needed to hire a professional exterminator to eliminate the termites, beetles and ants from under her home. I have seen the white panel van in her driveway for the past two days and can assume that the work is being done.


Tonight, as I sit in my cozy chair, I have had to brush off from my bare arm and ended the lives of two ants . The first one I gave little thought about but when I saw the second one my own antennae of suspicion was raised. Do you suppose that rather than exterminating the critters from under her house all they did was chase them over here? I will have to keep a watchful eye out for the next few days. Maybe this is the proprietor’s way of drumming up more business.

Mrs.RGS

No comments: