Sunday, September 14, 2008

Gifts Galore

I’m feeling so loved.

My friend, SA, visited Saturday with an arm load of gifts that were to acknowledge my birthday and retirement. One of my favorite items is these lovely red blown glass balls she got while on vacation at the beach. I have attached them to the kitchen window and just love the way the morning sun shines through them. Since the beach is my favorite place to be, with a close second being my home, they are perfect.

It is no secret that I am not a good cook. I really don’t enjoy chopping, slicing and dicing. But that is all in the past now. My co-workers gave me this wonderful Henckels knife as a retirement gift.

It is my very first chef’s knife and I immediately felt like I had stepped into better cooking just holding this knife. I used it three times over the weekend and I can say that it made me feel all grown up. I truly appreciate this gift.

My caterer friend presented me with a very unusual gift this year; a piece of beef marinated and ready to cook as sauerbraten. She used my favorite recipe from the “Joy of Cooking” and even baked the yummy gingersnap cookies to use in the gravy.
I put the meat in the slow cooker before we went to church Sunday morning and roasted potatoes, carrots and onions when we got home.

Then we feasted. The Cottage Master said if best, “It is exactly like it should be!” It was perfect. What a great gift.

Mrs.RGS

2 comments:

Kim said...

Happy Birthday and congrats on retirement!
What a great knife and I'm so glad you got to put it to use right away.
Enjoy.

Evie said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!