Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A Little Bit of Autumn



Last weekend I stopped by an estate sale being held in the back yard of a house a few blocks from home. The ad stated, “Help us clear stuff out.” While browsing the accumulation of stuff that many of us collect over the years just because we don’t know what else to do with it I overheard the woman who was taking the money from shoppers ask what they would be doing with the items.

A gentleman asked about an item and then questioned her further because he said she had a funny look on her face when she answered him and he was wondering why. She told him that it was only because it brought up memories for her and he quickly answered, “Oh, yes, of course.”

When I approached her with a grapevine wreath decorated with little pink felt hearts she inquired how I would be using it. I explained that I would be replacing the hearts with autumn material and hanging it on my front door. I told her where Quirky Cottage was after she asked if I lived far away. She said, “So, if I drive by in a week or two I’ll see this on your front door?” I replied that if everything goes as I planned it would be there before the weekend was over.

I walked away, carrying the wreath as well as part of her pain of selling the items that belonged to her mother. She needed assurance that each of these items would be going to a good home and become useful once again to someone.

After I had driven down the road I realized that this is the third time in the past month that I could have used a business-sized card with the Quirky Cottage web address on it. When people see me taking pictures of their homes, businesses and wares I’ve gotten questioned about what would become of this pictures. I write down the web address and invite them to stop by to see how I use the photos.

Do you carry a card with your web address for these occasions?
Mrs.RGS

5 comments:

ellemenope said...

You're probably right, it's comforting to know that memorable items will be treasured by those you share them with. Not long ago I had the daughter of a patient of mine (who generally had accompanied her during appointments) come share with me some memories and a sweet book about her life after she passed on.

I know that it was healing for me to give things that were Tea's to others who really needed them also. In a weird way, it's kind of how I feel about organ donation too. Funny, I know, but to be in a position of being able to be a blessing to others while grieving yourself can be a wonderful gift to you too.

I hope her heart is warmed when she sees your work. I'll bet you're the first on the block with fall decorations! It's going to be near 90 degrees this week here! :)

Evie said...

I love your decoration. I feel a wee bit behind now. It is so hard to get stuff for autumn when it is still so warm. We are experiencing warm weather with the summer storms still. I think the lady will be warmed by your decoration.

In regards to a card with our web address. You are right... I should make such cards. You are so smart!!!

Kim said...

I have thought about cards with my blog on it, but haven't gotten around to it.
I love your autumn decorations and have gotten a few of mine out also.
I bet the seller of the wreath will be glad to see her mom's belongs are being put to good use.

Kim said...

I love your new blog header! It looks wonderful.

Melissa said...

I love the wreath and the color of that door is so pretty.

Happy Friday!

Melissa