Sunday, November 9, 2008

MOPS and Me

I had the honor of being invited to speak to a group of MOPS (Mother's of Preschoolers). Their topic this month is family finances and I presented a crash course in the Dave Ramsey's Baby Steps and the Debt Snowball.

Dave Ramsey is the first to say that his ideas are not new but that he has a fresh and amusing way of presenting them.

When I finished, they presented me with this darling coffee mug. I'll treasure it as I do the opportunity to meet these women who are raising this country's next generation. In the early 1990's the Cottage Master and I began to listen to Larry Burkett and moved out of the world of plastic credit card living into debt free living. It didn't happen overnight and the lessons we learned along the way were many.

A few years ago DD found Dave Ramsey and again we were hit on the head to get back onto the path we had strayed from. We weren't in credit card debt at that time but we weren't being the best steward of our resources either.

I suggested to our Pastor that our church hold a Dave Ramsey Financial Peace University class. He liked the idea -- if we would facilitate it. Oops. That's not what I had in mind. But with God's help the Cottage Master, our DD and I managed to conduct the 13 week course.

Since then we've presented a pared-down condensed version several times to different groups. The Cottage Master and I have counseled singles and couples with their family finances. Sometimes people just need someone to come along side of them to help them with the first steps. We've been priviledged to do that.
Mrs.RGS

No comments: