Thursday, July 31, 2008

The Oldest Thing in the House

No, no, no. Not the Cottage Master.

One set of my great-grandparents were married in 1880. My great grandfather, while on a monthly trip into the nearest town to buy supplies for the farm where he and his bride lived, bought this lamp as a surprise gift for her. He got home very late that evening because he drove the horse and buckboard very slowly so that the lamp would not get broken. Great grandmother was so very touched by his by his thoughtfulness and treasured this lamp all her life.

My grandmother became its keeper during the 1930s at which time she had the lamp fitted for electricity. She made a point of telling my mother that the lamp should be mine when she no longer had use for it because I admired it so much.

I was showing the lamp and telling the story to a woman who collected old lamps and was informed that because it had been “electrified” it was no longer any value. It has great value to me and the fact that it is also useful (electrified) makes it even more special.


Mrs.RGS

3 comments:

Kim said...

It's sad when someone only looks at the monetary value to determine the worth of something. The love that it was purchased with, given in and cared for make it priceless.

Liz Harrell said...

Who cares about the money? That's not what's important about that lamp.... it's really beautiful. I can see why you love it so much, what a fabulous story.

Monica Wilkinson said...

How pretty! I love the story behind it too - I'm glad you can enjoy it now in your home!